Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Taking Profits

Deciding when to take profits is a bitch. You never lose by taking it early, but damn does it sting when you sell and the stock keeps climbing.

Beacuse of the volatile market conditions; I tend to take them earlier than later, although recently I have been stung by the bug of inertia. I held on TGI for my original out point, but in doing so, passed up several other opportunities for quick wins. Given my current trading style, I will lean towards being rash than being patient.

Then again, patience can bite in several ways when buying. I like to put in limits below the current price, 1-2% below. However, sometimes you manage to get in and sometimes you don't. Missed out LVAC at 14.00 yesterday because I put in 13.90. Went to 14.70, a quick 5% gain in intraday trading that I missed.

I am out of CVLT @14.80. Was too patient on holding this out for 15.40, which it never got to. I am out of TGI at 56.10, although I should have been out at $57 several days ago. Hindsight= bitch.

In at CYNO @ 22.82. What do I like; cash flow, book value, cash on hand is good, EPS is good. Debt is low. Beat high end consensus for the 7th time in a row, predicts forward looking growth prospects in 2008. But for some reason; its getting beat up anyways. I am confused. Looking fwd to 10% gain at least by week's end.

Then back into AFSI before earnings next thursday.

No comments: